Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (not more than 62% cacao), chopped medium-fine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- A pinch or two of salt (optional)
- Put the chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Bring the cream to a gentle boil in a large heavy saucepan and pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds, then stir well.
- Let stand for 15 minutes or so to finish melting every last speck of chocolate, then stir until the mixture looks perfectly uniform. Let cool.
- Taste and add salt, if desired. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until completely chilled (or leave it overnight!
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer until it lightens and holds a shape (it won’t be smooth if you overwhip it). Use immediately or refrigerate until needed.