- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
- 3 cups dried sweetened coconut, shredded or flaked
- In a heatproof bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and salt.
- When this mixture is warm to the touch, and nice and creamy, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, flour, and coconut.
- Cover and refrigerate for about two hours, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place small mounds (heaping tablespoons) of the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing several inches apart.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool.
- Makes about 2 dozen Macaroons.